Nintendo game stuck in dog’s belly nearly killing pup

NO GAME: Left untreated, the blockage could have proved fatal

(Pic: PDSA)

The real mystery, though, is where the curious canine got it from.

Owner Sean Johnston said: “He wasn’t acting himself at all and we were worried he’d eaten a corn on the cob, but we were so shocked when the vet said it was from a video game

“We don’t own a Nintendo or anything like that so we’re baffled as to where he got it from.

He’s a rescue dog and we’ve only had him for about six months so the only thing we can think is that it was from his previous owners – who knows how long it’s been in there.

REVEALED: An X-ray identified the cause of the problem (Pic: PDSA)

“We don’t own a Nintendo or anything like that so we’re baffled as to where he got it from”

Sean Johnston

Sean and girlfriend Rebecca Moss, from Cumbernauld, Glasgow, knew something was amiss when four-year-old Rocco started vomiting and refused to eat. 

When his condition didn’t improve, worried Sean made an emergency visit to vet charity PDSA’s Glasgow Shamrock Street Pet Hospital.

Rocco was admitted immediately and PDSA vets were stunned when x-rays revealed a rectangular shaped object in his gut.

GAME OVER: The Nintendo cartridge was in surprisingly good shape after being extracted (Pic: PDSA)

It was only after the pup was rushed into surgery to remove the potentially fatal object, that vets realised he had video game cartridge lodged in his small intestine.

Left untreated, the cartridge could have caused a fatal blockage.

PDSA’s experienced surgeon was able to carry out the successful operation that same day and after an overnight stay to keep a close eye on his recovery Rocco was discharged the following day for rest and recovery.

Sean said: “Even though we haven’t had him that long, he’s already such a big part of the family, so we’re delighted to have him back home. He’s made a brilliant recovery.”

CART: Nintendo cartridges don’t look all that appetising, to a human (Pic: PDSA)

PDSA Senior Vet, Susan Hermit, said: “We see dogs that eat strange things all the time but none of us had ever seen anything like this! 

“Objects can sometimes sit in the stomach for a while, but they cause problems when they try and push through the guts, which are much narrower. 

“It was a good job Sean brought Rocco in when he did, as an object of this size trying to pass through the guts could have caused a deadly blockage or pierced his internal organs.”

RESCUE: Rocco was saved by emergency surgery from PDSA vets (Pic: PDSA)

Pets, especially puppies and younger dogs, are naturally curious and like to use their mouths to investigate objects. 

Sometimes, a pet will swallow an item by mistake, but this can be quite dangerous, as many items could cause a gut blockage and some might also be toxic or sharp. 

Owners are advised to speak to their vet for advice as soon as possible if they suspect their pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have.

For further information including signs and symptoms to look out for if you think your pet might have eaten something they shouldn’t, visit PDSA’s brand new Pet Health Hub.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here